34 C O N T E X T 1 3 0 : J U LY 2 0 1 3 by enemy action during the second world war. Between 1950 and 1969 losses increased to almost four rings a year. The large increase caused serious concern to bellringers. The Central Council of Church Bell Ringers4 (CCCBR) formed the Redundant Bells Committee5 (RBC) in 1973. It was noted that the volume of closures The former church of St John, Bollington is to be converted to residential use. Chester Diocese Board of Finance has donated the bells and associated installation to St Thomas, Stockton Heath. was such that many bells were being sold for scrap. Losses such as the smashing up in the tower of the useful ring of eight bells at Emmanuel, Clifton, Bristol, in 1976 led to the CCCBR launching its rescue fund in 1979. This became the third route for relocating bells, and a significant number of rings of bells have been relocated as a result. In 1997 the KeltekTrust was formed with the charitable aims of relocating second-hand and redundant church bells. Although independent of the CCCBR, the two charities cooperate closely. When a listed church closes, ecclesiastical exemption ceases and listed building consent is required to remove bells. Some closed churches of outstanding quality are vested in the Churches ConservationTrust (CCT) and current policy is the retention of bells prior to vestment within the CCT. The Keltek Trust supports retention because the CCT has a policy of repair, restoration
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjgyMjA=